As winter’s chill settles in, things are warming up at Sister Bay’s Teresa K. Hilander Community Ice Rink.
Broomball, hockey, and youth skating will all return to the rink in December. Here’s a look at what’s coming up and how you can get involved in the winter fun – whether participating, volunteering, or sponsoring!
Northern Door Broomball League
The Northern Door Broomball League returns this winter for another season of competition, with play expected to begin the first week of January.
A captain’s meeting for the 2014 season is set for Wednesday, Dec. 11, at 6 pm at the rink.
Advertising space is available at the rink as well, with banner ads available on the boards surrounding the rink that will remain in place when the ice thaws and the skate park returns to the grounds in the spring.
The league is still accepting new teams for the league, and those people interested in playing that don’t yet have a team should contact Brian Fitzgerald (contact info below) to get connected to a team.
Skate and Equipment Swap Fundraiser
The 2nd annual Skate and Equipment Swap will be held at the rink Saturday, Dec. 14 from 10 am – 2 pm. People are encouraged to drop off used skates, hockey equipment and broomball gear at Bayshore Outfitters Dec. 9 – 13. Sellers will set their own asking price and will receive 80 percent of profits. The remaining 20 percent will go to the ice rink.
Youth Hockey Program
The ice rink’s youth skate and hockey program will return to the facility on Saturday mornings from 10 – 11 am. No experience is needed for this free program where elementary children age 6 – 12 can learn to skate and play hockey.
The program will start in December, weather permitting. Keep an eye on the rink’s Facebook page for rink updates.
Volunteers with skating or hockey experience are needed to help instruct kids in this informal program.
For information about advertising at the rink, volunteering to flood the ice or instruct youth hockey participants, or to participate in broomball this winter, contact Brian Fitzgerald at 920.421.1518 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo of Rick Chomeau by Len Villano.